TVM Lawsuit Update: 1.2 Million Verdict Against Johnson & Johnson’s Ethicon® Transvaginal Mesh
Bloomberg reports that a Texas jury has rendered a verdict in favor of a woman who alleged one of the company’s Ethicon® transvaginal mesh products was defectively designed and caused her injuries. The jury ordered the manufacturer of the transvaginal mesh product, Johnson & Johnson, to pay $1.2 million dollars in damages. The Texas case is Batiste v. McNabb, No. 12-14350, District Court for the 95th Judicial District, Dallas County Texas (Dallas).
Johnson & Johnson faces nearly 13,000 lawsuits alleging serious injuries associated with its Ethicon® transvaginal mesh product. Thousands of women allege they have experienced complications from these and other types of transvaginal mesh devices, including device erosion, organ perforation, intense pain, inability to have sexual intercourse, infection, and the need to undergo multiple revision surgeries.
As of now, over 43,000 transvaginal mesh lawsuits are currently pending in federal courts – and the number of cases continues to grow. According to the most recent report released by the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML), there are seven Multidistrict Litigations (MDLs) involving different transvaginal mesh device manufacturers:
- MDL 2327 – In re: Ethicon, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 12,997 cases
- MDL 2187 – In re: C.R. Bard, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 6,167 cases
- MDL 2325 – In re: American Medical Systems, Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 14,256 cases
- MDL 2326 – In re: Boston Scientific Corp. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 8,311 cases
- MDL 2387 – In re: Coloplast Corp. Pelvic Support Systems Products Liability Litigation: 1,268 cases
- MDL 2440 – In re: Cook Medical, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 169 cases
- MDL 2511 – In re: Neomedic Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 25 cases
If you or a loved one has experienced serious injuries as a result of a transvaginal mesh device, contact one of our experienced attorneys at Schlichter, Bogard & Denton, LLP toll-free at 1-800-873-5297. We will confidentially evaluate your case for free and without any obligation.
The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements. The cases discussed do not predict outcomes in future cases. Past results afford no guarantee of future results and every case is different and must be judged on its own merits.