Transvaginal Mesh (TVM) Lawsuit Update: $73 Million Jury Verdict Against Boston Scientific
Bloomberg reports that jurors in a Texas state court in Dallas found Boston Scientific liable and ordered the company to pay $73 Million in damages to a woman who was seriously injured by the company’s vaginal-mesh implant. In particular, the jury awarded the injured woman $23 Million in compensatory damages and $50 Million in punitive damages. Jurors found that Boston Scientific’s handling of the product amounted to gross negligence, which allowed the jury to award punitive damages. The plaintiff, a former property manager, alleged during the trial that she was required to go through four major surgeries and can no longer sit comfortably, walk or exercise normally as a result of the injuries she sustained from the company’s product. The case is Salazar v. Lopez, No. DC-1214349, District Court for Dallas County (95th Judicial District of Texas).
Many of the cases against transvaginal mesh manufacturers have been consolidated before U.S. District Judge Joseph Goodwin in Charleston, W.V. Others have been filed in state courts in Delaware, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Missouri, Texas and California. Thousands of women allege that they have experienced complications from these TVM devices, including device erosion, organ perforation, intense pain, inability to have sexual intercourse, infection, and the need to undergo multiple revision surgeries. As a result, the following Multidistrict Litigations (MDLs) have been formed to manage over 61,000 claims against the manufacturers of different transvaginal mesh devices:
- MDL 2327 – In re: Ethicon, Inc. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 19,380 cases
- MDL 2187 – In re: C.R. Bard, Inc. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 9,591 cases
- MDL 2325 – In re: American Medical Systems Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 18,181 cases
- MDL 2326 – In re: Boston Scientific Corp. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 12,540 cases
- MDL 2387 – In re: Coloplast Corp. Pelvic Support Systems Products Liability Litigation: 1,637 cases
- MDL 2440 – In re: Cook Medical, Inc. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 247 cases
- MDL 2511 – In re: Neomedic Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 66 cases
If you or a loved one has experienced serious injuries as a result of a transvaginal mesh device, please contact one of our experienced attorneys at Schlichter, Bogard & Denton, LLP toll-free at 1-800-873-5297. We will confidentially evaluate your case for free and without any obligation.
The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements. The cases discussed do not predict outcomes in future cases. Past results afford no guarantee of future results and every case is different and must be judged on its own merits.