Transvaginal Mesh (TVM) Lawsuit Update: 3.25 Million Jury Verdict Against Ethicon
Yahoo! News reports that a federal jury in West Virginia has awarded a woman with $3.27 Million in damages for injuries due to Johnson & Johnson’s Ethicon transvaginal mesh product. The plaintiff, Jo Huskey, was implanted with a Gynecare TVT Obturator transvaginal mesh device in 2011 to treat stress urinary continence (SUI) and experienced problems with the device, including serious side effects and pelvic pain. The case is Huskey v. Ethicon, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia, No. 12-5201.
This was the second Ethicon federal case to go to trial in the MDL, which is pending in West Virginia before The Honorable Judge Joseph Goodwin. The first Ethicon trial in the MDL ended in February with a verdict against the plaintiff and in favor of Ethicon.
Thousands of women allege that they have experienced complications from TVM devices, including device erosion, organ perforation, intense pain, inability to have sexual intercourse, infection, and the need to undergo multiple revision surgeries. As a result, the following Multidistrict Litigations (MDLs) have been formed to manage over 61,000 claims against the manufacturers of different transvaginal mesh devices:
- MDL 2327 – In re: Ethicon, Inc. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 19,380 cases
- MDL 2187 – In re: C.R. Bard, Inc. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 9,591 cases
- MDL 2325 – In re: American Medical Systems Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 18,181 cases
- MDL 2326 – In re: Boston Scientific Corp. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 12,540 cases
- MDL 2387 – In re: Coloplast Corp. Pelvic Support Systems Products Liability Litigation: 1,637 cases
- MDL 2440 – In re: Cook Medical, Inc. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 247 cases
- MDL 2511 – In re: Neomedic Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 66 cases
If you or a loved one has experienced serious injuries as a result of a transvaginal mesh device, please contact one of our experienced attorneys at Schlichter, Bogard & Denton, LLP toll-free at 1-800-873-5297. We will confidentially evaluate your case for free and without any obligation.
The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements. The cases discussed do not predict outcomes in future cases. Past results afford no guarantee of future results and every case is different and must be judged on its own merits.