Transvaginal Mesh Product Manufacturer Coloplast Agrees to $16 Million Settlement
Bloomberg News reports that Colplast A/S, the manufacturer of, has agreed to pay approximately $16 million to settle lawsuits alleging that its vaginal mesh products have injured women.
The article details that Coloplast officials agreed in January to resolve approximately 400 lawsuits, although the official was not identified as they were not authorized to publicly speak regarding the settlement. The agreement would provide an average of about $40,000 for each claimant. Coloplast executives have declined a blanket settlement and are instead going to settle case inventories collected by individual plaintiffs’ lawyers.
Many of the lawsuits against Coloplast have been consolidated into a Multidistrict Litigation pending in Charleston, West Virginia before The Honorable Judge Joseph Goodwin. Other transvaginal mesh products have also been consolidated into Multidistrict Litigations pending in the same district court. Thousands of women allege they have experienced complications from these transvaginal mesh devices, including device erosion, organ perforation, intense pain, inability to have sexual intercourse, infection, and the need to undergo multiple revision surgeries. As of now, over 43,000 transvaginal mesh lawsuits are currently pending in federal courts – and the number of cases continues to grow. According to the most recent report released by the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML), there are seven Multidistrict Litigations (MDLs) involving different transvaginal mesh device manufacturers:
- MDL 2187 – In re: C.R. Bard, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 6,167 cases
- MDL 2325 – In re: American Medical Systems, Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 14,256 cases
- MDL 2326 – In re: Boston Scientific Corp. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 8,311 cases
- MDL 2327 – In re: Ethicon, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 12,997 cases
- MDL 2387 – In re: Coloplast Corp. Pelvic Support Systems Products Liability Litigation: 1,268 cases
- MDL 2440 – In re: Cook Medical, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 169 cases
- MDL 2511 – In re: Neomedic Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 25 cases
If you or a loved one has experienced serious injuries as a result of a transvaginal mesh device, contact one of our experienced attorneys at Schlichter, Bogard & Denton, LLP toll-free at 1-800-873-5297. We will confidentially evaluate your case for free and without any obligation.
Legal Disclaimer: The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements. The cases discussed do not predict outcomes in future cases. Past results afford no guarantee of future results and every case is different and must be judged on its own merits.