Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit Update: 200 Additional C.R. Bard Avaulta Cases will be Selected for Trial
The litigation involving C.R. Bard’s Avaulta transvaginal mesh continues to move forward. The Honorable Judge Joseph Goodwin, who presides over the C.R. Bard Multidistrict Litigation (MDL 2187) pending in the Southern District of West Virginia, has issued an order requiring that 200 additional cases be selected for trial. In particular, he is requiring attorneys from each side (plaintiff and defense) to select 100 lawsuits each as potential cases that will be tried before a jury.
As we previously reported, the first bellwether case in the C.R. Bard Multidistrict Litigation (MDL 2187) resulted in a $2 million damages award against C.R. Bard and the second bellwether case settled on the first day of trial. The third bellwether case was dropped back in September, weeks before a trial was supposed to begin. The fourth bellwether case is currently scheduled for trial and pretrial rulings have occurred, as we previously reported.
Thousands of women allege that they have experienced complications from these transvaginal mesh devices, including device erosion, organ perforation, intense pain, inability to have sexual intercourse, infection, and the need to undergo multiple revision surgeries. As of now, over 37,000 transvaginal mesh lawsuits are currently pending in federal courts – and the number of cases continues to grow. According to the most recent report released by the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML), there are six Multidistrict Litigations (MDLs) involving different transvaginal mesh device manufacturers:
- MDL 2187 – In re: C.R. Bard, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 5,516 pending cases
- MDL 2325 – In re: American Medical Systems, Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 11,402 pending cases
- MDL 2326 – In re: Boston Scientific Corp. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 7,377 pending cases
- MDL 2327 – In re: Ethicon, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 11,667 pending cases
- MDL 2387 – In re: Coloplast Corp. Pelvic Support Systems Products Liability Litigation: 1,106 pending cases
- MDL 2440 – In re: Cook Medical, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 150 pending cases
If you or a loved one has experienced serious injuries as a result of a transvaginal mesh device, please contact one of our experienced attorneys at Schlichter, Bogard & Denton, LLP toll-free at 1-800-873-5297. We will confidentially evaluate your case for free and without any obligation.
The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements. The cases discussed do not predict outcomes in future cases. Past results afford no guarantee of future results and every case is different and must be judged on its own merits.