$830 Million Settlement Reached in Endo and American Medical Systems Transvaginal Mesh Litigation
Reuters reports that a settlement in the amount of $830 Million has been reached to resolve legal claims from women who allege to have been injured by transvaginal mesh devices manufactured by Endo and American Medical Systems.
Endo (although not admitting liability or fault) released a statement indicating that the settlement agreement will provide compensation for a “substantial majority” of the claims brought against its American Medical Systems subsidiary. Endo and AMS together faced approximately 22,000 lawsuits over the devices, according to Endo’s most recent annual filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
However, cases against other transvaginal mesh device manufacturers are still pending. As of now, over 30,000 transvaginal mesh lawsuits are pending in federal courts – and the number of cases continues to grow. According to the most recent report released by the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML), there are six Multidistrict Litigations (MDLs) pending involving different transvaginal mesh device manufacturers, excluding American Medical Systems:
- MDL 2327 – In re: Ethicon, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 14,679 cases
- MDL 2187 – In re: C.R. Bard, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 7,096
- MDL 2326 – In re: Boston Scientific Corp. Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 9,776 cases
- MDL 2387 – In re: Coloplast Corp. Pelvic Support Systems Products Liability Litigation: 1,267 cases
- MDL 2440 – In re: Cook Medical, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 173 cases
- MDL 2511 – In re: Neomedic Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation: 25 cases
If you or a loved one has experienced serious injuries as a result of a transvaginal mesh device, contact one of our experienced attorneys at Schlichter, Bogard & Denton, LLP toll-free at 1-800-873-5297. We will confidentially evaluate your case for free and without any obligation.
The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely on advertisements. The cases discussed do not predict outcomes in future cases. Past results afford no guarantee of future results and every case is different and must be judged on its own merits.